Friday, September 9, 2011

I don't need drugs even if you do.

I have a couple of topics to deal with today, but will try not to blend them all into one big mishmash. It may not go over well,

As so many folks over the years have accused me of doing drugs, its time to clear the air, permanently, on the record, and smack them into the wall, face first.

Just because you have or had a drug use issue, does not mean I do, did or ever will. I have never taken more than a prescription drug, and don't even like those much. I have over-reacted to most meds given me in the past, even simple anti-biotics. I don't drink constantly, I either drink for social comeraderie, or to ease a physical pain or dull emotions for a short while. I can live without my pipe, even though I would prefer to have it just as it reminds me of someone I wish I was wired more like than not.

The funny thing is this. those who make these accusations often have some substance abuse of their own that they deny or have set up on the altar of self pity that the addict recovery groups make. My vices are simple, I like a drink, I like a smoke, I love my ice cream and other junk foods. But, I can take them or leave them, as I please, to quote the words to M*A*S*H's theme song.

Look, in all my years of being on this planet, one thing has come down to me. Over two thirds of the folks I know use "recreational drugs", abuse their booze, or take perscription meds in amounts and methods not condoned by the FDA, their doctors, pharmacist, or common sense. Yet, these folks get jobs right beside me, and never get caught, even if they do something stupid.

Take the job where the buddy of the boss I could not fire when I was in charge, got my position, I had to still do all the work, while he screwed off and sold drugs out the side door of the company. His brother was part of the deal, even though he never got caught, and in the end, he got the job, and I was out the door, even after the cops came looking for the dealer. If I had been allowed to fire the two idiots for insubordination when I tried, things would have been different, but I don't have a flux capacitor, and can't afford a deLorean.

Too many times, I am surrounded by those who despite breaking the laws about drugs, who get drunk too much and at the wrong times, and lost something, usually my temper, sometimes my job, and often the respect of others. I am not the one screwing up first, but I pay the price.

I have had friends and family who were alcoholics, dated women who washed down anti-depressants with booze while telling me *I* needed medication, and been surrounded by more folks who faked for their drug tests than I care to dream about. I had several bosses and co-workers who damned near maimed or killed me with their working under the influence, or managed to hurt someone else. Yet in the end, the druggies kept their jobs most times, their positions in society, their lives, and I lost everything. Not the way it should have been, the way most folks say it is. No, its the ones who walk the straight and narrow, who don't come to work drunk/stoned or hungover that tend to pay the biggest price. We are the ones the others hurt, kill, or leave in such a rage over their behavior and the failure of society to punish them that we take the beating for not being sensitive to their needs.

What about my needs? Huh, jackasses? Look, this is all I am going to say. If businesses want to save a ton of money, ditch those drug tests. You rarely catch the users, and all it does is encourage them to get more radical in their usage and demands that we accept their endangering their co-workers. And can that crap about tolerance of their medical condition and allowing them rehab if it causes an accident or they get busted using on property. Just fire their asses when you do catch them. Those of us who obey the rules will thank you.

To the rest of you, if you do drugs, walk away from me, don't tell me about it. If you do, I will let you get what you deserve, and refuse to hit the safety stop from now on. You made the choice, live with the consequences. Or die with them. I refuse to support you and your lifestyles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment